Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Spewing on the First Day of Class



















Remember your first day in kindergarten? I do. I threw up on the pavement before I stepped onto the bus.

Maybe I was sick. Likely I was scared. Definitely, I was painfully shy.

Part of that stemmed from my certainty that, if I ever stepped out of line, something bad would happen. Very bad.

And so I flew under the radar as best I could, drawing my letters ever so neatly, arcing where they were supposed to arc, slicing when I was told they should slice.

My papers all held A’s. And smiley faces.

So did I.

That early sensory reward for doing exactly as I was told has held itself within my psyche as being Appealing for many, is-it-still-possible-to-count-how-mannnny years.

And so I sit here, a bit frozen in place, questions surrounding how to create a Blog That Is Easy For My Friends And Their Friends To Read rampaging through my head. But, until I know I’m doing it Right, I don’t. seem. able. to move.

You have the answers.

I need them.

But most of you don’t even know me.

Yet.

Sigh.

::raising my hand, like the good little girl that I used to be::

Mind helping that little kindergartner in me out? Because here I am, again, eying the pavement with ever-escalating worry, as I look through your blogs and see features that make sense.

*How the heck do you add that Twitter link to your blog?
*How do I see how many “unique visitors” I have had? (Trust me, if I’ve been to your site, you have had at least one!)
*How do I make it easy for the people who visit me to find YOU?
*And why, despite adding it five times, won’t my supplemental picture show up beside my title? (Does it make a difference that I use Firefox instead of Windows?)
*What are your favorite features? Did you have to hire a designer to achieve them?
*How do I invite you to Follow me (when I’d really rather Follow you)?

Meanwhile, an old favorite John Denver tune is scrolling through my head:

“Follow me where I go, who I am and what I know. Make it part of you to be a part of me. Follow me, up and down, all the way and all around. Take my hand and I will follow you...”

Can you help a classmate out?

I’m wearing new shoes today and I’d really rather keep them shiny.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. I can really relate to how you feel. Even though I have been seriously blogging for coming on a year, I still have some of the questions that you have. Good for you for having the confidence to raise your hand.

    I can't answer all of your questions, or maybe I'm too insecure to, but I just googled "twitter buttons for blogger" when I wanted to add one. Its pretty easy to do if you follow the directions there.

    I am definitely computer challenged, so I'm pretty sure if you can set this blog up, you can do all of the things you have questions about.

    Good luck and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything so lovely as that very first comment or follow?!? Jill... you are a goddess. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I'm such a misfit that I just this MOMENT realized that there were comments backed up in my Moderate Comments panel. (Meanwhile, I spent all that lovely time feeling unloved. Ha. There is definitely a life lesson here!)

    Thanks for the vote of confidence. One step at a time, I'll blunder my way toward everyone else! :-)

    ReplyDelete